with creamy aubergine topping
Did you know the name 'moussaka' derives from the Arabic word for moistened? This is likely a nod to the succulent beef, juicy tomato sauce, and softened aubergine that make up this delicious comfort dish.
Total Time40 minutes
Cooking Time45 minutes
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kJ)2773 kJ
Energy (kcal)663 kcal
of which saturates26.8 g
of which sugars13.3 g
Dietary Fiber1.4 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
•Baking Sheet with Baking Paper
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Trim the carrot, then quarter lengthways (no need to peel). Chop widthways into small pieces.
- Trim the aubergine, then slice into rounds approximately 1cm thick.
- Place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, fry the carrot until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the beef mince and cumin, then cook until browned, 5-6 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince. Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Use a spoon to break up the mince as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the passata and chicken stock powder into the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until thickened, 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, pop the aubergine onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer, then roast for 15-20 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven.
- When the beef mixture has thickened, spoon it into an oven dish.
- Lay the roasted aubergine slices on top.
- Spread the creme fraiche over with the back of a spoon, then sprinkle on the Italian style hard cheese.
- Bake the moussaka until the top is bubbling and has browned, 8-10 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the moussaka from the oven.
- Allow to stand for 1-2 mins before serving.
- Spoon into bowls to serve.