with creamy aubergine topping
Did you know the name 'moussaka' derives from the Arabic word for moistened? This is likely a nod to the succulent beef, juicy tomato sauce, and softened aubergine that make up this delicious comfort dish.
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Trim the carrot, then quarter lengthways (no need to peel). Chop widthways into small pieces.
- Trim the aubergine, then slice into rounds approximately 1cm thick.
- Place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, fry the carrot until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the beef mince and cumin, then cook until browned, 5-6 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince. Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Use a spoon to break up the mince as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the passata and chicken stock powder into the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until thickened, 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, pop the aubergine onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer, then roast for 15-20 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven.
- When the beef mixture has thickened, spoon it into an oven dish.
- Lay the roasted aubergine slices on top.
- Spread the creme fraiche over with the back of a spoon, then sprinkle on the Italian style hard cheese.
- Bake the moussaka until the top is bubbling and has browned, 8-10 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the moussaka from the oven.
- Allow to stand for 1-2 mins before serving.
- Spoon into bowls to serve.