Cajun Fried Chicken
Cajun Fried Chicken
with sweet potato mash and zesty shredded salad
Earthy herbs and smoky spices are hallmarks of Cajun cuisine. It just so happens that both pair particularly well with crispy breaded fried chicken as you'll see in this simple and super delicious recipe.
Egg(s) not included
Total Time30 minutes
Cooking Time35 minutes
Cajun Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kcal)578 kcal
Energy (kJ)2419 kJ
of which saturates1.4 g
of which sugars22.4 g
Dietary Fiber0 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the sweet potatoes. Chop into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When boiling, add the potatoes, lower heat to medium and cook until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a little water or milk. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Halve the lime. Coarsely chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Trim and grate the carrot (unpeeled).
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the Cajun spice mix, ¼ tsp salt (double for 4p) and pepper together in a deep plate or large bowl.
- Beat 1 egg (double for 4p) in a separate deep plate or large bowl.
- Lay the chicken breast on your chopping board. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Place your hand flat on top of the chicken and carefully slice it from thick end to thin point until there's 2cm left (don't slice all the way through).
- Open it up like a book. You've butterflied your chicken! Repeat with the other breast(s).
- Dip chicken first in egg then in breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Add enough oil to a large pan to cover the entire bottom, and heat on medium-high.
- Once hot, carefully lay the chicken into the pan, reduce the heat to medium-high and fry until golden-brown and cooked through, 8-10 mins total. Turn every 2-3 mins and adjust the heat if necessary. IMPORTANT: The chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Quarter, core and thinly slice the apple (no need to peel).
- In a medium bowl mix 1 tbsp lime juice (double for 4p), a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the carrot, salad leaves, apple, and half the parsley. Toss together.
- Arrange the mashed sweet potato, chicken and salad on plates.
- Top with remaining parsley.