Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
with crunchy cheese crostini
There's something endlessly comforting about the classic combination of chicken and sweetcorn, and this recipe is no different. A creamy texture and herbaceous undertone combine to create added depth while the accompanying cheesy crostini add a satisfying bite to an all-round delicious dish.
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Drain the sweetcorn in a sieve.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken and garlic. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the dried thyme and sweetcorn and cook for 1 min more.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour (double for 4p) over the chicken and sweetcorn.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 1 min.
- Add 450ml water (double for 4p) and chicken stock powder and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Simmer the soup until slightly thickened, 5-7 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Cut the baguettes widthways at an angle into 2cm thick slices.
- Lay the slices onto a lined baking tray.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown, 8-10 mins.
- Halfway through cooking, sprinkle the cheese over the baguette slices.
- Return to the oven for remaining time to allow the cheese to melt.
TIP: Keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
- While the crostini cook, stir the creme fraiche into the thickened soup.
- Cook until warmed through, 1-2 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide your chicken and sweetcorn soup between bowls.
- Serve with the cheesy crostini.