Pan-fried Chicken in Sage Butter
with roasted aubergine and sweet potato mash
Though this dish has a lot of enticing elements, the standout may just be the sage butter that bastes the juicy chicken. Sage is a herb with a powerful and distinctive taste, but it's also packed with vitamins A and C as well as even more antioxidants!
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Trim the aubergine. Cut into 2cm chunks. Cut the carrot into 1cm rounds.
- Pop the aubergine onto a lined baking tray. Toss with paprika, salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Spread out.
- Roast on the top shelf of the oven until golden, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through. After 5 mins cooking, add the carrot to the tray with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper and cook for remaining time.
- Meanwhile, chop the sweet potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When boiling, add the sweet potato to the water and cook until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper then cover with the lid to keep warm.
- While the sweet potato simmers, lay the chicken breasts out on a board.
- Place your hand flat on top of the chicken breast and carefully slice through horizontally to make two thin steaks. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging we use to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken steaks and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until cooked through, 3-6 mins on each side (cook in batches if your pan is getting crowded). IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
- When everything is almost ready, return the pan to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- Pick the sage leaves from their stalks (keeping them whole). Discard the stalks.
- Add the sage leaves to the melted butter and fry until crispy, shifting as they cook, 2-3 mins.
- When the sage has crisped, add the chicken steaks back to the pan.
- Carefully use a spoon to baste the chicken in the fragrant sage butter.
- Divide your chicken steaks between plates.
- Side with a spoonful of sweet potato mash and roasted veg.
- Drizzle any remaining sage butter over the chicken.