Spiced Hake and Lentils
with carrot and baby spinach
Nutritious, protein-packed, and brimming with flavour, this is one dish you don't want to miss. The spinach and lentils make the perfect bed for a golden fried flaky hake fillet.
Not included in your delivery
- Trim the carrot then halve lengthways (no need to peel). Slice widthways into 1cm thick pieces.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Roughly chop the parsley (discard the stalks).
- Pat the hake dry with kitchen paper then season with salt and pepper.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and carrot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until soft and sweet, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Once the veg has softened, add the lentils.
- Stir through the passata and vegetable stock powder along with 50ml water and ½ tsp sugar (double both for 4p).
- Simmer until the carrots are tender, 8-10 mins.
TIP: Add more water if the lentils become too dry!
- Add the spinach to the lentils, stirring until it's wilted, 1-2 mins.
- Stir through 1 tbsp butter (double for 4p) along with the parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a separate pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, lay the fish into the pan and fry on one side until golden, 3-4 mins.
- Turn and cook on the other side, a further 3-4 mins.
- Add 2 tbsp butter (double for 4p) and harissa to the pan.
- Cook for 1-2 mins, ensuring the fish is cooked through and well coated on both sides with the harissa butter. IMPORTANT: Fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
- Divide the spinach lentils between plates.
- Place the hake on top, pouring over any harissa butter remaining in the pan.
- Finish with a drizzle of honey.