Beef and Sweet Chilli Bacon Burger
with crispy sweet potato fries
A crisp and refreshing tomato and baby gem salad with crunchy sweet potato fries accompany a beautiful bacon and beef burger sandwiched between sumptuous brioche buns in this decadent dish.
(Contains Milk, Egg, Soya, Wheat May be present Lupin, Nuts, Sesame)
Sweet Chilli Sauce
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the sweet potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then into 1cm fries (peeling optional).
- Pop onto a large (lined) baking tray. Toss with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Spread out in a single layer. You want them well spaced out to achieve a crispy finish!
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the mince, breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp water and ¼ tsp salt (double both for 4p). IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat.
- Season with pepper and mix together by hand.
- Roll into evenly-sized balls, then shape into 2cm thick burgers, one per person. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat.
TIP: Burgers will shrink a little during cooking.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the burgers until browned on the outside and cooked through, 12-14 mins.
- Turn carefully every 3-4 mins, adjusting the heat if needed. IMPORTANT: Burgers are cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- While the burgers cook, halve, peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the lardons and shallot until golden, stirring often, 5-7 mins. IMPORTANT: Cook lardons well.
- Add a splash of water and the sweet chilli sauce. Cook for 2-3 mins. Once cooked, remove from the pot and cover to keep warm. Give the pot a quick wipe.
- Trim the baby gem, reserving 1 leaf per burger. Halve the rest lengthways and thinly slice widthways.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- Once melted, add 1 tbsp flour (double for 4p).
- Stir in 100ml water (double for 4p) a little at a time. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer until thickened, 1-2 mins.
- Mix in the creme fraiche, cheese and ½ tsp pepper (double for 4p). Stir until all the cheese has melted. Season to taste with salt.
- Pop the burger buns into the oven to warm through, 2-3 mins.
- In a large bowl for the salad, mix together the tomatoes and sliced baby gem with a drizzle of oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a spoonful of sweet chilli bacon over the base bun.
- Top with reserved salad leaves, burgers and cheese sauce. Sandwich closed with the top bun.
- Serve with sweet potato fries, tossed salad and any remaining cheese sauce alongside.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salad.