Cheesy Meatball Sub and Bacon Wedges
with pesto drizzle and balsamic glaze
A melted cheese and pesto beef meatball baguette, what could be better? A side of bacon topped sweet potato wedges couldn't hurt!
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Chop sweet potatoes into 2cm thick wedges (peeling optional).
- Pop the wedges onto a large (lined) baking tray. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast on the top shelf of the oven until crispy, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary. You want them nicely spaced out to achieve a crispy finish!
- Meanwhile, place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the bacon lardons until golden, stirring occasionally, 5-7 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Cook lardons thoroughly.
- Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat and transfer the lardons to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
TIP: Give the pan a quick wipe if you like, you'll be using it again!
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, half the pesto and the beef mince.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix together by hand.
- Roll into evenly-sized balls, five per person. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the meatballs and fry until browned all over, 4-6 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the baguettes through the middle lengthways (don't slice all the way through).
- Once the meatballs are cooked through, pour the passata and ½ tsp sugar (double for 4p) into the pan and toss to coat. IMPORTANT: Meatballs are cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened, 4-6 mins. Stir through a knob of butter.
- Once the sauce has warmed, transfer the sweet potato wedges to the middle shelf of the oven.
- Place the baguettes on a separate lined baking tray and divide the meatballs and sauce between them.
- Sprinkle over the cheese, then bake on the top shelf of the oven until the cheese has melted, 4-5 mins.
- When everything is ready, carefully transfer the beef meatball baguettes to your plates and spoon over the remaining pesto.
- Toss the bacon and sweet potato wedges together and plate up with salad leaves alongside.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salad to finish.