Irish Sirloin Steak and Cheesy Chipotle Sauce
with golden smashed potatoes
A deliciously decadent and spicy chipotle cheese sauce smothers 100% Irish sirloin steak accompanied with tender green beans and crispy smashed baby potatoes in this deceptively simple recipe.
21 Day Aged Sirloin Steak
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Halve the potatoes. Quarter any larger pieces.
- On a lined baking tray, toss with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Spread out in a single layer, cut-side down.
- Roast on the top shelf of the oven, 15-20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and lightly crush each potato with the bottom of a pan. Drizzle with more oil and return to the top shelf until crispy and golden, 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile, place a medium pot over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- When melted, add ½ tbsp flour (double for 4p) then slowly stir in 100ml water (double for 4p).
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer until thickened, 1-2 mins.
- Mix in the creme fraiche and cheese. Stir until all the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat, stir through the chipotle and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Season the sirloin with salt and pepper.
- Once the pan is hot, fry until browned, 1-2 mins each side for medium-rare.
- Cook for another 1-2 mins on each side if you want it more well-done. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat and its packaging. Meat is safe to eat when the outside is browned.
- Once cooked, transfer to a board, cover and allow to rest.
- Trim the green beans.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with another drizzle of oil if required.
- Once hot, fry the green beans until starting to char, 2-3 mins.
- Add a splash of water and immediately cover with a lid or some foil.
- Cook until tender, 4-5 mins. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Thinly slice the steaks widthways.
- Gently reheat the chipotle cheese sauce, if necessary.
- Divide the smashed potatoes between plates.
- Serve the pan-fried green beans and sliced sirloin alongside.
- Drizzle the chipotle cheese sauce over the steak.
- Serve any remaining sauce on the side.