with creamy mash and mushrooms
Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish that dates back to the mid 19th century. There are many foods that can accompany this meal, and in this recipe, you're treated to a hearty helping of creamy mashed potato.
Not included in your delivery
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When boiling, add the potatoes and cook until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Trim the carrot and quarter lengthways (no need to peel). Chop widthways into 1cm pieces.
- Place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the beef strips until browned, shifting as they colour, 2-3 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once seared, remove from the pan and set aside. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Meat is safe to eat when the outside is browned.
TIP: You don't want to overcrowd the pan—cook in batches if necessary!
- Return the pan to high heat with another drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the mushrooms and carrots to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until softened, stirring occasionally, 5-6 mins.
- When 1 min of cooking time remains, add the garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the paprika, beef stock powder, creme fraiche and half the parsley to the pan.
- Stir in 75ml water (double for 4p) and leave to simmer until slightly thickened, 3-4 mins.
- Add the beef strips and stir to warm through and coat with the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: Add a splash of water to loosen the sauce if necessary.
- Dish up a hearty helping of mashed potato.
- Top with the creamy beef stroganoff.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of the remaining parsley.