Braised Veg in Spicy Thai Sauce
with paprika spiced bulgur wheat
One extremely versatile and delicious vegetable that's often overlooked is the humble leek. There's so much you can do with this nutritious member of the onion family. In this recipe, it's allowed to really shine, by being braised in a rich sauce along with tender baby carrots.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
Greek Style Cheese
(Contains Almonds May be present Sesame, Cereals containing gluten, Peanut)
Red Thai Style Paste
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 240ml water (double for 4p) into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the bulgur, paprika and half the stock powder.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer for 1 min.
- Pop a lid on the pot and remove from the heat.
- Leave aside for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, trim the leek, removing the tough outer layers if necessary. Thinly slice at a sharp angle widthways to make slices around 2cm in length.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- Place a large pan over high heat (without oil).
- Once hot, dry-fry the almonds, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted, 3-4 mins. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, cook the leek and carrots until starting to char, 3-5 mins on each side.
- Stir only every so often to allow the veg to char.
TIP: You may need to work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, 1 tbsp butter and half the Italian herbs (double both for 4p) to the pan.
- Toss the veg in the sauce to further caramelise, 1-2 mins.
- Add the remaining stock powder, red Thai paste, ½ tsp sugar and 150ml water (double both for 4p) to the pan.
- Cover and simmer until veg is tender, 5-8 mins.
- Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce is too thick.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Stir through a knob of butter.
- Divide the paprika bulgur between bowls.
- Top with the braised veg.
- Crumble over the Greek style cheese.
- Finish with a sprinkling of sliced scallion and toasted almonds.