Butter Chicken Curry
Butter Chicken Curry
with coriander and rice
Butter chicken (also known as murgh makhani) is a popular, mild-flavoured dish in Indian cuisine. The butter in the recipe plays the crucial role of giving the spiced tomato sauce its beautifully rich and creamy texture.
Total Time25 minutes
Cooking Time15 minutes
North Indian Style Spice Mix
(Contains Cashew nuts May be present Sesame, Cereals containing gluten, Peanut)
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kcal)1069 kcal
Energy (kJ)4472 kJ
of which saturates31.6 g
of which sugars12 g
Dietary Fiber1.4 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
•Pan with Lid
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium and cover with a lid.
- Leave to cook for 10 mins, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Keep covered for another 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Place a pan over medium heat with 2 tbsp butter (double for 4p) and a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the onion until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the North Indian spice mix and cook for 1 min. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until golden brown on the outside and cooked through, 8-10 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging. Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing we use to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Add the passata, cream and 25ml water (double for 4p).
- Simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, 7-9 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
TIP: Add a splash of water if the sauce needs loosening.
- Serve the butter chicken alongside the rice.
- Garnish with cashews and coriander.