Chipotle Beef Chilli Sub
with crispy bacon and cheesy crispy chips
This American style recipe takes inspiration from many different localities throughout the United States, from Tex-mex chilli to the Cajun flavours of Louisiana. This is a mighty and meaty dish you certainly won't want to miss!
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Red Wine Jus
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then into 1cm chips (no need to peel).
- Pop onto a large (lined) baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, bake on the top shelf until golden, 25-30 mins.
- Halfway through, toss the chips with the grated Italian style cheese then return to the oven for remaining time.
- Meanwhile, cut the baguettes lengthways down the middle (don't slice all the way through).
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the bacon until crispy and brown, 3-4 mins on each side.
- Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Cook bacon thoroughly.
- Keep the bacon fat in the pan and return to medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the beef mince and fry until browned, 5-6 mins. Use a spoon to break it up as it cooks.
- Season with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the garlic to the pan. Cook for 30 secs.
- Stir in the passata, chipotle, red wine jus, ½ tsp sugar and 100ml water (double both for 4p)
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then lower the heat slightly and simmer until thickened, 7-8 mins.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Meanwhile, crumble the crispy bacon.
- Move the chips to the bottom shelf of the oven.
- Pop the baguettes onto a separate lined baking tray.
- Spoon as much chilli as you like into each baguette, then top with the grated cheese.
- Cook on the top shelf of the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 2-3 mins.
- Meanwhile, chop/tear the salad leaves.
- When everything is almost ready, toss the salad leaves with the balsamic glaze and a drizzle of oil.
- Plate up the chipotle chilli-filled baguettes and sprinkle over the bacon crumble.
- Serve the cheesy chips and salad alongside.