Harissa Spiced Cannellini Bean Stew
with garlic bread and golden fried cheese
Garlic bread is one of life's great pleasures. It shines brightest when it's made from scratch and used for mopping up moreish dishes like this harissa bean stew.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 2 cm chunks.
- Pop the pepper onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Roast on the top shelf of your oven until soft and slightly charred, 15-18 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the cannellini beans in a sieve.
- Transfer one-third to a bowl (reserving the rest) and mash with a fork.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Drain the grilling cheese then cut into slices, 3 per person.
- Place the slices into a small bowl of cold water and leave to soak.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, stir in the harissa paste and half the garlic. Cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 100ml water (double for 4p).
- Bring to a simmer, then leave to bubble for 5 mins.
- Add the whole and mashed beans. Cook until the stew has reduced slightly, 5-6 mins.
TIP: The mashed beans will add a nice thickness to the stew.
- While the stew simmers, mix the remaining garlic and half the parsley with 1 tbsp oil (double for 4p) in a small bowl.
- Cut the baguette in half lengthways, then into triangles.
- Using a spoon, rub the herby garlic oil over the cut sides of the baguette slices.
- Stir the roasted pepper into the stew along with the remaining parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pop the baguette onto the (now empty) baking tray and cook on the top shelf of your oven until golden and crispy, 8-10 mins.
- Remove the grilling cheese slices from the cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the cheese and fry until golden, 2-3 mins each side.
- Spoon the hearty harissa bean stew into bowls.
- Carefully arrange the grilling cheese slices on top.
- Serve the garlicky baguette on the side.