Irish Sirloin Steak and Sofrito Potatoes
with cajun spice and pan-fried broccoli
Butter-basted cajun sirloin steak, peppery potatoes, and tender pan-fried broccoli combine for a meal that's beautifully balanced and melt-in-mouth delicious.
21 Day Aged Sirloin Steak
Cajun Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Pop the chunks onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 1cm pieces.
- Trim the tip of the broccoli. Chop head into small florets and stem into 2cm pieces.
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Coat the steak all over with cajun spice, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place a pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the broccoli until starting to char, 2-3 mins.
- Add a splash of water and immediately cover with a lid or some foil.
- Cook until tender, 4-5 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the garlic, onion, pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Pour in the passata along with ¼ tsp sugar (double for 4p).
- Cook for 2-3 mins and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the pan and reserve to toss with the potatoes once they're finished roasting. Give the pan a quick wipe.
- Return the pan to high heat with 1 tbsp butter (double for 4p) and a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the sirloin until browned, 1-2 mins each side for medium-rare.
- Cook for another 1-2 mins on each side if you want it more well-done. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat and its packaging. Meat is safe to eat when the outside is browned.
- Once cooked to your liking, remove from pan, cover and allow to rest, 1-2 mins.
- Thinly slice the steak and divide between plates.
- Drizzle any butter remaining in the pan over the top.
- Serve with sofrito potatoes and pan-fried broccoli alongside.