Lentil Shepherd's Pie
Lentil Shepherd's Pie
with creamy mash topping
Lentils replace lamb in this shepherd's pie for a veggie-friendly take on a classic recipe. The creamy potato topping is another delicious addition to this healthy, hearty dish.
Total Time45 minutes
Cooking Time35 minutes
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
(Contains Almonds May be present Sesame, Cereals containing gluten, Peanut)
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kcal)696 kcal
Energy (kJ)2911 kJ
of which saturates2.1 g
of which sugars39.9 g
Dietary Fiber12.3 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Peel the potato and chop into 2cm chunks. Boil until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain and return to the pot off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter if you like and a little water or milk.
- Mash until smooth then season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Trim the carrot then coarsely grate (no need to peel).
- Drain and rinse the lentils.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, fry the carrot for 2-3 mins, then stir in the lentils.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, Worcester sauce and half the Italian herbs (double for 4p) to the pan.
- Simmer for 5-7 mins, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Spoon the lentils into an oven dish (around 23cm x 15cm is ideal for 2p).
- Carefully layer the potato mash over the filling. Use the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- Top with a scattering of almonds.
- When the oven is hot, pop onto the top shelf to bake for 10-12 mins.
TIP: Leave to rest for 5 mins before serving.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into 2cm pieces.
- Toss the salad leaves and tomato with a drizzle of oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dish up a hearty helping of lentil shepherd's pie.
- Serve the salad alongside with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.