with crunchy croutons and crumbled Greek style cheese
Panzanella salad is a favourite in Italian households. Usually made with stale or leftover bread, the name Panzanella is thought to come from a combination of the words “pane“ (Italian for bread) and “zanella“ a type of small basket.
Diced Butternut Squash
Greek Style Cheese
Red Wine Vinegar
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place the butternut squash on a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat and arrange in a single layer on the tray.
- Roast on the top shelf of the oven until tender and golden, 25-30 mins.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Trim the courgette then slice into 1cm thick rounds.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the onion and courgette and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6-8 mins.
- Meanwhile, halve the tomatoes.
- Tear the baguette into small, bite-sized pieces.
- When the butternut squash has been cooking for 15 mins, add the tomatoes to the tray with another drizzle of oil.
- Carefully mix everything together and return to the top shelf of the oven for the remainder of the cooking time, 10-15 mins.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Meanwhile, to a large bowl add 2 tbsp oil (double for 4p) along with the red wine vinegar and mayo.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix well and set aside.
- Add the croutons to a (separate) lined baking tray with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt.
- Toss to coat, spread out and bake on the middle shelf of the oven until golden, 8-10 mins. Give the tray a shake halfway through.
TIP: Watch them carefully so they don't burn!
- When the onion and courgette have softened, stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min more.
- Remove from the heat and add to the bowl with the dressing.
- When ready, remove the veg and croutons from the oven, add to the bowl and gently mix.
- Let everything sit for a couple of mins to allow the croutons to absorb the flavours.
- Carefully fold the rocket into the bowl with the softened veg and croutons.
- Divide your panzanella salad between plates.
- Crumble the Greek style cheese over the top.