Pea and Lentil Dahl
with warm naan bread
Dahl is an inherently comforting dish that's hearty and warming in equal measures. This lightly spiced lentil dahl has the unexpected addition of cranberry sauce which adds subtle taste and texture. Green peas and mild spices make this a vibrant meal perfect for any occasion.
North Indian Style Spice Mix
Rogan Josh Curry Paste
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Peel and grate the ginger (use a teaspoon to easily scrape away the peel).
- Place a large pot over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add the ginger, garlic, North Indian spice and curry powder.
- Cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add the lentils to the pot and mix well to combine.
- Stir in the coconut milk along with 150ml water and ¼ tsp salt (double both for 4p).
- Cover and cook the dahl for 10-12 mins.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the peas, rogan josh paste and cranberry chutney.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: Loosen the dahl with a splash of water if you feel it's too dry.
- When 5 mins of cooking time remain for the dahl, sprinkle the naans with a little water.
- Pop into the oven to warm through, 2-3 mins.
- Quarter the lime.
- Finish the dahl with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Divide the dahl between bowls.
- Serve with naan and remaining lime wedges alongside.