Sausages in Sage Onion Gravy
with creamy mashed potato
These sizzling pan-fried pork sausages and creamy mash are the ultimate rich and warming dish—made all the better by being soused in sage onion gravy.
(Contains Sulphites, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a little milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Pick the sage leaves from their stalks and roughly chop (discard the stalks).
- Trim the green beans.
- Trim the carrot and halve lengthways. Slice widthways into ½ cm thick semicircles.
- Peel and grate the garlic.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the sausages until browned and cooked through, shifting as they colour, 7-8 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Sausages are cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Once cooked, remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, cook the green beans and carrots until starting to char, 2-3 mins.
- Stir in the garlic, lower heat to medium and cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add a splash of water and immediately cover with a lid or some foil.
- Cook until tender, 4-5 mins. Once cooked, remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Return the pan to high heat with another drizzle of oil if needed.
- Fry the onion until softened, 3-5 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp flour (double for 4p), cook for 1 min then add 100ml water (double for 4p), chicken stock powder, Worcester sauce and sage.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until slightly thickened, 2-3 mins.
- Add the sausages back to the pan and cook until warmed through, 3-5 mins.
TIP: Loosen the gravy with a splash of water if necessary!
- Divide the carrots and green beans between plates.
- Serve the creamy mashed potato and sausages alongside.
- Finish with a drizzle of the sage onion gravy.