Curried Cottage Pie
with roasted broccoli
A traditional recipe gets an exciting upgrade in this East meets West fusion dish. Enjoy the familiar comfort of a classic cottage pie with the invigorating addition of delicious North Indian spices.
North Indian Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes. Cook until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and slice the onion. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Halve any large florets.
TIP: To save time you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat (without oil).
- When the pan is hot, add the beef mince and cook until browned, 3-4 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince.
- Use a spoon to break the mince up as it cooks and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion to the mince (with a drizzle of oil if needed) and cook until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste and North Indian spice mix to the mince.
- Fry until fragrant, 30 secs, continuously stirring.
- Stir in the beef stock powder and 150ml water (double for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar and remove from the heat. IMPORTANT: Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the filling is ready, transfer to an appropriately-sized ovenproof dish.
- Carefully layer the mash over the filling, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until golden and bubbling, 15-20 mins.
- Halfway through cooking, pop the broccoli onto a lined baking tray. Toss together with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread out in a single layer.
- Roast until tender and crispy, 10-12 mins.
- When everything is ready, divide the curried cottage pie between your plates.
- Serve the roasted broccoli alongside.