Spicy Korean Mushrooms and Lentils
with pickled radish, roasted kale and gochujang-aioli drizzle
This is a meal that has a little bit of something for everyone. Spicy lentils cooled with coconut milk. pickled radish, crispy kale and fragrant jasmine rice are all standout elements in this delicious Korean-inspired dish.
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Red Wine Vinegar
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover and cook for 12 mins.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Keep covered for another 12 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, trim and thinly slice the radish.
- Pop the radish into a small bowl along with the red wine vinegar, 1 tsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt (double both for 4p).
- Mix together and set aside. Stir frequently.
- Peel and grate the ginger. Use a teaspoon to easily scrape away the peel.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Place a pan over high heat with the sesame oil.
- Once hot, add the mushrooms and ginger.
- Cook until charred, shifting occasionally, 3-4 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Reduce the heat of the pan to medium-high.
- Add half the gochujang, soy sauce, coconut milk, lentils, and ½ tsp sugar (double for 4p) to the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar. Add a splash of water if the lentils are too dry.
TIP: You might want to add the gochujang a little at a time, tasting as you go—it's spicy!
- Meanwhile, strip the leafy part of the kale from the stem and chop into bite-sized pieces. Discard the stems (they're too tough to eat).
- Spread the kale out on a lined baking tray.
- Toss with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil.
- When the oven is hot, bake on the middle shelf until crispy, 6-8 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the aioli with the remaining gochujang.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Arrange the pickled radish, roasted kale, spicy lentils and mushrooms alongside.
- Finish with a drizzle of the gochujang aioli.