North Indian Tofu Curry
with fragrant garlic rice
This aromatic veggie curry is a tapestry of tastes and textures. Crispy tofu, charred mushrooms, zippy chives and fragrant garlic rice are only a few of the elements that make this dish delicious.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
Rogan Josh Curry Paste
North Indian Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with a knob of butter and a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, fry the garlic until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add the rice and 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p). Bring to the boil then lower heat to medium and cover.
- Cook for 10 mins, then remove the pot from the heat. Keep covered for 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, drain the tofu and chop into 1cm cubes. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Toss the tofu with a drizzle of oil and half the North Indian spice.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Place a separate pot over high heat.
- Once hot, fry the tofu until slightly crispy, 7-10 mins.
- Shift frequently to ensure it doesn't burn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl, pop your pot back on medium-high heat and add a drizzle of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the mushrooms for 7-10 mins.
- Shift frequently to ensure they don't burn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining North Indian spice mix and rogan josh paste to the pot. Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Pour in 50ml water, ½ tsp sugar (double both for 4p) and chopped tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer until the mushrooms are tender, 8-10 mins.
- Add the tofu and cook to warm through, 1-2 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
TIP: Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce needs loosening.
- Roughly chop the chives (use scissors if you prefer).
- Divide the tofu curry between bowls and serve the garlic rice alongside.
- Finish with a sprinkling of chopped chives.