Roasted Aubergine Dahl
with wilted spinach and rice
Dahl is a versatile pulse-based dish from India that comes in many different forms. This one features smoky roasted aubergine and tender wilted spinach simmered in aromatic spices.
Korma Curry Paste
North Indian Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Trim and chop the aubergine into 2cm pieces. Pop the pieces onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the North Indian style spice mix. Toss to coat, then arrange in a single layer.
- Roast the aubergine until golden brown and soft, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- While the aubergine cooks, pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat (still covered) and leave aside for 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and turning brown, 5-6 mins.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Add the korma curry paste to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Add 350ml water, ½ tsp sugar (double both for 4p), vegetable stock powder, lentils and passata.
- Bring to the boil. Once boiling, lower to medium heat and cook until the sauce has reduced, 10-15 mins.
- Stir regularly to prevent sticking. Add a splash of water if it's starting to get too thick.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the spinach a handful at a time, stirring until wilted, 2-3 mins.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Stir through half the roasted aubergine, half the yoghurt and half the coriander.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Once everything is ready, fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with the lentils, remaining roasted aubergine and remaining yoghurt.
- Finish with a scattering of remaining coriander.