Serrano Wrapped Chicken in Sage Butter
with broccolini and roast potatoes
Serrano ham (also known as jamón serrano) is a smoked Spanish meat with a strong flavour that it gets from the long curing process it goes through. Its gamey taste makes a great pairing for the cheesy chicken breast it's encasing in this recipe.
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Central American Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Halve the potatoes lengthways (quarter any larger chunks) and add to a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with Central American spice mix, salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer. When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Pick the sage leaves.
- Trim the end of the broccolini.
- Lay the chicken out on a board. Place one hand flat on top. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken.
- Slice horizontally until 2cm is left (don't cut all the way through). Open it up like a book.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing used to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Drizzle the chicken with oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the cheese between the chicken breasts, pressing down firmly so it adheres.
- Carefully roll the chicken up, encasing the filling.
- Wrap the Serrano ham tightly around the chicken.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the broccolini and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry for 2-3 mins then add a splash of water and cover with a lid or some foil.
- Cook until the broccolini is tender, 4-5 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the chicken, seam-side down, until golden brown, 4-5 mins each side.
- Add a splash of water, cover and cook for 8-10 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Shift the chicken to one side of the pan. Add 3 tbsp butter (double for 4p) to the empty side and melt.
- Fry the sage in the butter until crispy, 2-3 mins. Spoon the sage butter over the chicken.
- Plate up your cheesy Serrano chicken.
- Serve the roast baby potatoes and pan-fried broccolini alongside.
- Drizzle any remaining sage butter over the chicken.