Middle Eastern Chicken
with wilted spinach lentils and pine nut couscous
This hearty and decadent chicken stew is filled with flavours from the Middle East. Harissa, couscous and lentils are all ingredients commonly found in many of this region's cuisines.
Diced Chicken Breast
(May be present Peanut, Nuts, Sesame, Cereals containing gluten)
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya)
Not included in your delivery
- Halve and peel the onion. Chop half into small pieces (double for 4p).
- Roughly chop the spinach.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Dilute the chicken stock powder with 200ml boiling water (500ml for 4p).
- Add the couscous to a bowl.
- Pour in the stock, cover tightly with a plate or cling film and leave aside for 10 mins or until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the chopped onion until softened, stirring occasionally, 3-4 mins.
- Add the chicken to the pan. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Season with salt and pepper then fry until golden brown on the outside, 3-4 mins.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Add the harissa, garam masala, tomato paste, lentils and 150ml water (double for 4p).
- Season with salt, pepper and ½ tsp sugar (double for 4p).
- Simmer until thickened 8-10 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the spinach and mix until wilted, 1-2 mins.
TIP: Loosen the stew with a splash of water if you feel it's too thick.
- Season the lentils to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Stir the pine nuts through the couscous, fluffing it up as you go.
- Divide the couscous between bowls.
- Serve the chicken and lentils alongside.