Rigatoni au Gratin
with crispy breadcrumb topping
Rigatoni replaces macaroni in this elevation of a childhood favourite: mac and cheese. Luckily, the shape and structure of rigatoni make it the perfect vessel for the creamy, cheesy sauce that features in this recipe.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Mustard)
Red Wine Vinegar
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the pasta.
- Slice the tomatoes into ½ cm rounds.
- Roughly chop the chives (use scissors if you prefer).
- In a small bowl mix the breadcrumbs with the Italian style hard cheese and 2 tbsp oil (double for 4p).
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta then bring back to the boil.
- Cook until softened, 12 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and pop back in the pot, off the heat.
- Drizzle with oil and stir through to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, place a separate pot over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp oil or butter (double for 4p).
- When hot, stir in 3 tbsp flour (double for 4p). Cook until a paste forms, 1-2 mins.
- Gradually stir in 250ml milk or water (double for 4p), along with the paprika and muscat.
- Simmer until thickened, stirring constantly, 1-2 mins.
- Once reduced, remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the creme fraiche, grated cheese and half the chopped chives to the pot.
- Allow the cheese to melt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix the drained pasta through the sauce along with the sliced tomato. Loosen the sauce with a splash of milk or water if necessary.
- Transfer to an oven dish. Top with the breadcrumb mix.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven until the breadcrumbs are golden and the cheese is bubbling, 6-8 mins.
- Trim the root tip and green stalks of the fennel. Halve the fennel then thinly slice.
- In a large bowl for the salad, mix 2 tbsp oil (double for 4p) together with the red wine vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, toss the fennel and salad leaves through the dressing.
- Divide the cheesy pasta between plates or bowls.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped chives.
- Serve the fennel salad alongside.