Hearty Chicken Stew
with potatoes and pesto
This chicken stew has a bright and herby flavour profile, meaning it's hearty but suitable for the summer too. Along with the main ingredients you also have potatoes and pesto, which make for a more filling and flavourful meal.
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Chop the potatoes into 1cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Trim the carrot and cut diagonally into ½ cm thick slices.
- Trim the parsnip, then slice into rounds about 1cm thick.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the chicken and fry until lightly browned, 3-4 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Season with oregano, paprika, salt and pepper then cook for 1 min more.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Add the carrot, parsnip and onion to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2-3 mins.
- Pour 400ml water (double for 4p) into the pot along with the chicken stock powder.
- Bring to the boil, add the potatoes and cover with the lid.
- Cook until the potatoes are just fork tender and the chicken is cooked through, 10-12 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove the lid and simmer for final 3-5 min to thicken if required.
- Lower the heat and stir the pesto and creme fraiche into the stew.
- Cook, stirring, until warmed through, 1-2 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hearty helpings of chicken stew in deep plates or bowls.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top.