Buttered Leek Beef Burger
with homemade chips
These juicy beef burgers may be super simple to prepare, but unexpected additions in the form of decadent buttered leeks and rich brioche buns ensure they're anything but ordinary.
(Contains Milk, Egg, Soya, Wheat May be present Lupin, Nuts, Sesame)
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
(Contains Barley, Mustard, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then into 1cm wide chips (no need to peel).
- Pop the chips onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, bake on the top shelf until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Trim the leek. Halve lengthways. Thinly slice half widthways (double for 4p).
- Place a pan over medium heat with a knob of butter and a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the sliced leek and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 6-8 mins.
- Once softened, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the Worcester sauce, mustard and breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tsp water and ¼ tsp salt (double both for 4p).
- Add the beef mince, season with pepper and mix everything together with your hands.
- Roll into evenly-sized balls, then shape into 1cm thick burgers—1 per person. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince.
TIP: The burgers will shrink a little during cooking.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the burgers until browned on the outside and cooked through, 10-12 mins. Turn every 2-3 mins and adjust heat if needed.
- Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat. IMPORTANT: Burgers are cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Place some cheese on top of each burger.
- Cover the pan and set aside (off the heat) until the cheese melts, 3-4 mins.
- While the burgers cook, pop the buns onto a baking tray.
- Warm in the oven, 2-3 mins.
TIP: Keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
- To assemble the burgers, spread a spoonful of aioli over each base bun.
- Top with the cheesy beef burger and buttered leeks.
- Close with the top bun.
- Serve with chips alongside.