Mushroom Cottage Pie
with green peas and creamy mash topping
This cottage pie is cheesy and topped with potatoes, which sounds pretty great already-but that's not all! There's also the thick, rich tomato sauce featuring charred mushrooms and vibrant green peas that forms the filling of this unmissable veggie dish.
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender, 12-18 mins. Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and grate the garlic.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Place a large pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the onion and cook until softened, 2-3 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are starting to char, 3-4 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add peas, Worcester sauce and passata to the pan.
- Cook, stirring often, until the veg is coated, 1-2 mins.
- Add stock powder, ½ tsp sugar and 50ml water (double both for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens slightly and veg is tender, 3-4 mins.
TIP: Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce is too thick.
- Transfer the filling to an appropriately-sized oven dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes. Use a spoon to spread out in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven until the topping begins to brown, 5-6 mins.
- Remove your mushroom cottage pie from the oven.
- Allow to cool before serving, 1-2 mins.
- Divide between plates.