Ultimate Fish and Chips
with broccoli and parsley lemon mayo
Give the chipper a miss tonight and make your own at home instead. The decadent golden baked fish fillet and twice cooked chips in this recipe are balanced with a healthy helping of broccoli for added crunch.
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Pour a glug of oil onto a baking tray (to coat the bottom) and pop into the oven to heat.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then into 1cm wide chips (no need to peel).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender, 7-8 mins.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Zest and halve the lemon.
- Finely chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- In a medium bowl mix the lemon zest, breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp oil (double for 4p) and half the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the hake onto a separate (lined) baking tray. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw fish.
- Spread half the mayo over the top of the fish. Spoon on the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it down with a spoon. Drizzle with oil and set aside.
- Once the chips are done, drain in a colander and pop back in the pot.
- Toss with a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp flour (double for 4p).
- Carefully remove the tray from the oven. Add the chips and carefully toss to coat in the oil.
- Roast on the top shelf of the oven until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
- When halfway cooked, pop the fish on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for 10-15 mins. IMPORTANT: Fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
- Meanwhile, cut half the broccoli (double for 4p) into florets. Halve larger florets.
- Peel and grate garlic (or use a garlic press). Pick mint leaves from stalks and roughly chop (discard the stalks).
- Place a pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry chopped broccoli for 2-3 mins.
- Add garlic, lower heat to medium and cook for 1 min. Add a splash of water and cover with a lid or foil. Cook until tender, 4-5 mins. Stir in the mint.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining parsley and mayo.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Chop any remaining lemon into wedges.
- When everything is ready, plate up the broccoli alongside your fish and chips.
- Finish with a dollop of lemon parsley mayo.
- Serve lemon wedges alongside.