Chicken and Broccoli Bake
with melted cheese topping
There's something about taking a bubbling bake out of the oven and loading heaping helpings onto plates that makes this dish seem comforting and extra appetising all at once. Chicken and broccoli is a classic combination but the addition of creamy bechamel is what really makes this dish a winner.
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Add 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) and stock powder to a medium pot with a lid.
- Add the rice and bring to the boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and cover.
- Cook for 10 mins, then remove from the heat (still covered) and leave aside until ready to serve.
- Chop the broccoli into 1cm pieces (or as small as you can get it).
TIP: Coarsely grate the broccoli if you prefer.
- While the rice cooks, place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the diced chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Fry until golden brown on the outside, 3-4 mins.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing we use to keep it fresh. It will still be delicious once cooked!
- Add the chopped broccoli to the pan along with another drizzle of oil (if necessary).
- Fry until softened, stirring frequently, 3-4 mins.
- Add the paprika and cook for 1 min more.
- Transfer the broccoli and chicken to an appropriately-sized oven dish and wipe the pan clean.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp butter or oil (double for 4p).
- When hot, stir in 3 tbsp flour (double for 4p) and cook, stirring until it forms a paste, 1-2 mins—you've made a roux!
- Gradually add 250ml milk or water (double for 4p).
- Bring to the boil, stir and simmer until thickened, 1-2 mins. Remove from the heat.
- Add the creme fraiche along with half the cheese and stir until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the bechamel sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling, 10-15 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Leave to rest for 5 mins before serving.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between plates.
- Dish up a hearty helping of cheesy chicken and broccoli bake.