Chicken in Truffle Mushroom Sauce
with roast potatoes and broccoli
The chicken in this recipe is poached in a delightfully rich creamy mushroom truffle sauce. Even better, it's paired with beautiful broccoli and crispy roast potatoes.
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Pop the chunks onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Meanwhile, place a pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Trim the tip of the broccoli. Cut head into small florets and stem into 2cm pieces.
- Once hot, fry the broccoli until starting to char, 2-3 mins.
- Add a splash of water and immediately cover with a lid or some foil. Cook until tender, 4-5 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Pick the thyme leaves from their stalks.
- Surround the chicken in cling film. Bash with a pan until 2cm thick. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken. Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry chicken until cooked through, 5-6 mins each side.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the bacon until golden, 5-7 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook until browned, 4-5 mins.
- Pour in creme fraiche and 100ml water (double for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 8-10 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if it thickens too much.
- When everything is ready, thinly slice and plate each chicken breast.
- Serve the tender broccoli and roast potatoes alongside.
- Stir the truffle oil into the bacon mushroom sauce.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken.