Chilli Chive Roast Chicken
with baby spinach and potatoes
This rich and creamy roast chicken and potato dish may seem elaborate, but it's deceptively easy to prepare. If you're looking for a simple and satisfying weeknight meal you don't need to spend hours in the kitchen making then look no further.
Not included in your delivery
- Heat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Fry for 3-5 mins each side.
- Place on a lined baking tray. Cook on top shelf of oven, 10-15 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken. Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is due to packaging used to keep it fresh.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When boiling, add the potatoes to the water and cook until fork tender, 12-18 mins.
- When 1 min of cooking time remains, stir through the spinach.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Once potatoes and spinach are cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Season the spinach and potatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- Mix carefully to combine.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, halve the chilli lengthways. Deseed and finely chop half (double for 4p).
- Finely chop the chives (use scissors if you prefer).
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- When 5 mins of cooking time remain for the chicken, return the pan to medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When the pan is hot, fry the chopped chilli (use less if you don't like spice) and garlic until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add 75ml water (double for 4p) and chicken stock powder.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until slightly reduced, 2-3 mins.
- Stir the creme fraiche into the pan along with half the chives.
- Season to taste with pepper then remove the pan from the heat.
TIP: Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if you feel it's too thick.
- Divide the spinach and potatoes between your plates.
- Thinly slice the chicken and serve alongside.
- Spoon the chilli chive sauce over the top.
- Finish with a sprinkling of remaining chives.