Crispy Crumbed Hake Burger
with chips and zesty side salad
Lemon and hake are two flavours that naturally complement each other. This is why you'll find hints of citrus permeating throughout this recipe—from the golden baked breadcrumb topping to the zingy salad dressing to the accompanying lemon wedge for squeezing over everything.
(Contains Milk, Egg, Soya, Wheat May be present Lupin, Nuts, Sesame)
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then chop into 1cm wide chips (no need to peel).
- Pop the chips onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Toss with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of oil. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, bake on the top shelf until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Zest and quarter the lemon.
- To a small bowl, add half the Italian herbs and 1 tbsp oil (double both for 4p).
- Stir in the lemon zest and the breadcrumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper, then mix to combine.
- Pat the hake with kitchen paper to remove any excess moisture. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw fish.
- Lay the hake fillets onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the lemony breadcrumb mix evenly between the tops of the hake fillets, pressing down firmly to keep in place.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven until the crumb is golden and the hake is cooked through, 10-12 mins. IMPORTANT: Fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl for the salad, mix together a drizzle of oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, toss the salad leaves through the dressing (reserve a few leaves to add to your burger).
- When the hake has 5 mins left to cook, pop the brioche buns into the oven to warm.
- Toast until golden brown, 2-3 mins.
TIP: Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a spoonful of aioli and ketchup over the cut side of each brioche bun.
- To the base bun, add reserved salad leaves and crumbed hake.
- Close the burger with the top bun.
- Serve with salad, chips and any remaining lemon wedges alongside.