Harissa Spiced Chicken Steaks
with sweet potato wedges and parsley carrots
Pan-fried chicken is topped with spicy harissa paste in this simple yet satisfying recipe which also includes spiced sweet potato wedges and parsley coated tomatoes and carrots.
Red Wine Vinegar
Middle Eastern Style Spice Mix
(Contains Sesame, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Chop the sweet potato into 2cm wide wedges (no need to peel).
- Pop the wedges onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil then season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat, then spread out in a single layer and roast on the top shelf of your oven until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, halve cherry tomatoes. Peel and grate garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Trim carrot then halve lengthways (no need to peel). Chop into 1cm wide, 5cm long batons.
- Pop carrots onto a large (lined) baking tray. Drizzle with oil then season with Middle Eastern spice, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer. Roast until tender, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Place one hand on top of the chicken. Slice through horizontally to make two steaks. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Once pan is hot, add chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until cooked through, 3-6 mins each side.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is due to vacuum packing used to keep it fresh and is normal. It will still be delicious once cooked!
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Spread harissa paste over the top of each chicken steak using the back of a spoon.
- Cover with foil and leave to the side to rest.
- Finely chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- To a medium bowl add the red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp oil (double for 4p) and half the parsley. Season with salt and pepper, mix to combine and set aside.
- Return the pan to high heat (add a drizzle of oil if the pan is dry).
- Add the tomatoes and garlic and fry for 2-3 mins then remove from the heat.
- Add the roasted carrots to the pan along with the parsley dressing.
- Toss to coat.
- Serve the chicken on plates with the sweet potato wedges and parsley veg alongside.
- Drizzle over any juices from the foil.
- Finish with a sprinkle of the remaining parsley.