Homemade Falafel Flatbread
with chips and cooling yoghurt sauce
Gorgeous golden herby falafels, fresh salad and a creamy cooling tzatziki combine in this multifaceted dish to create the perfect blend of flavours and textures.
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then chop into 1cm chips (peeling optional).
- Pop the chips onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Toss with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, bake on the top shelf until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Halve, peel and finely chop the onion.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Cut the tomato into 2cm chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim half the cucumber (double for 4p). Quarter lengthways then chop widthways into small pieces.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a sieve.
- Add the drained chickpeas to a large bowl and mash to a paste with a fork.
- Mix the onion, garlic, cumin and coriander into the chickpeas.
- Sprinkle over 2 tbsp flour (double for 4p).
- Season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper (double both for 4p). Mix well to combine.
TIP: You can also use a potato masher to crush the chickpeas if you prefer.
- Using your hands, form small round balls from the falafel mixture (4 per person).
- Press the balls tightly together, flattening to make mini patty shapes.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a good glug of oil.
- When the oil is hot, fry the falafels until golden brown all over, 3-4 mins on each side.
- Once cooked, transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
- Meanwhile, mix the yoghurt with the chopped cucumber and a drizzle of oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pop the flatbread into the oven to warm, 1-2 mins.
- Just before serving, toss the rocket leaves with a drizzle of oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow everyone to top their own warm flatbreads with tzatziki, tomato, rocket salad and golden falafels.
- Serve the chips on the side.