Potato Topped Chicken Pie
Potato Topped Chicken Pie
with mushrooms and carrots
This savoury, potato-topped chicken pie is the ultimate in comforting recipes. A simple and delicious dish that is perfect for any occasion.
Total Time45 minutes
Cooking Time35 minutes
Diced Chicken Breast
(Contains Barley, Mustard, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kJ)3127 kJ
Energy (kcal)747 kcal
of which saturates11.7 g
of which sugars14.5 g
Dietary Fiber0 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Slice the potatoes into 1cm rounds.
- Pop the sliced potatoes into the boiling water and cook until slightly softened, 6-8 mins.
- Once cooked, carefully drain in a colander and set aside. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: The potato is cooked when just fork tender—take care not to overcook!
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Trim the carrot (no need to peel). Chop into 1cm chunks.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl along with 2 tbsp oil (double for 4p). Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix together.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken (cook in two batches if necessary). IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is browned, 6-7 mins.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing we use to keep it fresh.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 4-5 mins.
- Stir in the mushrooms and a little more oil if needed. Turn the heat up slightly.
- Cook everything together until the mushrooms are browned, about 5-6 mins.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 min.
- Add 150ml water (double for 4p) and stock powder to the pan. Bring to the boil and stir to dissolve.
- Stir in mustard, Worcester sauce and creme fraiche. Bring back to the boil, then turn down the heat.
- Simmer gently until reduced by around one-third, 3-4 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: Loosen with a splash of water if necessary!
- Transfer the contents of the pan to an appropriately-sized ovenproof dish.
- Top with the cooked potato slices then sprinkle over the breadcrumbs.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until the topping is golden brown and chicken is cooked through, 10-15 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Serve straight from the dish!