Roast Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup
with creme fraiche and breadsticks
Tomato soup and warm bread is a classic combination—with good reason! This velvety and veg-packed recipe is no exception. Toppings of torn basil and creme fraiche elevate the texture and taste of this dish even further.
(Contains Wheat, Barley)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces. Chop the tomato into wedges.
- Thinly slice the basil, reserving the sprigs.
- Mix the pepper, onion, tomato, basil sprigs and half the basil leaves in an oven dish or on a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the oil, balsamic vinegar and paprika. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast the vegetables in the oven for 30-35 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the baguettes into breadsticks 1-2cm wide.
- Place the breadsticks on a lined baking tray, drizzle with a little oil if desired.
- Place the breadsticks above the vegetables in the oven and bake for 10-12 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the vegetables from the oven and add to a pot along with 500ml water (double for 4p) and stock.
- Blend the soup. Add more water to loosen the soup if desired.
- Place the pot over a medium-high heat. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer until the soup has warmed through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Divide the soup among the bowls.
- Garnish the soup with half the creme fraiche (double for 4p) and the remaining basil.
- Serve with the breadsticks.