Steak in Creamy Mustard Sauce
with roast potatoes and carrots
Do you prefer your steak well done or pretty much blue? No judgement here! How you cook it this evening is completely up to you. Considering it's paired with golden potatoes, soft sweet carrots and creamy mustard sauce you really can't go too far wrong.
(Contains Barley, Mustard, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (no need to peel).
- Pop the potato chunks onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Trim the carrot, then halve lengthways (no need to peel). Chop into roughly 1cm wide, 5cm long batons.
- Pop the carrots onto a large (lined) baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast until tender 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When the oil is hot add steaks and fry until browned, 2-3 mins each side. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat.
- Lower heat and fry for 1-2 mins more each side for medium-rare.
- When done, remove from pan, cover with foil and rest for 1-2 mins. Steak is safe to eat when outside is browned.
TIP: Cook for 1-2 mins more if you like it more well done.
- Place a pot over a medium-high heat.
- Drizzle in some oil and fry the garlic for 1 min.
- Add stock and 100ml water (double for 4p) for the sauce.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1-2 mins, then stir in half the creme fraiche (double for 4p). Let it simmer until thickened, 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the mustard and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- When everything is cooked, thinly slice the steaks widthways and transfer them to your plates.
- Serve the potatoes and carrots alongside.
- Spoon the creamy mustard sauce over the steaks to finish.