Chipotle Black Bean Burrito Bowl
with avocado and pico de gallo
The burrito is a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine that originates from Ciudad Juárez in Mexico. These plant-based burrito bowls are filled with zesty lime rice, gorgeous green avocado, chipotle black beans, and another Mexican staple—pico de gallo.
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium and cover with the lid.
- Cook for 10 mins then remove from the heat.
- Keep covered for 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and chop the shallot into small pieces.
- Cut the tomato into 1cm chunks.
- Zest and quarter the lime.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and sweetcorn (keep separate).
- Halve the chilli and discard the core and seeds. Finely chop.
- Place a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the sweetcorn, chilli (use less if you don't like spice) and half the shallot.
- Fry until softened, 5-6 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, mash half the beans with a fork.
- Once the veg is softened, add the chipotle paste to the pan along with the whole and mashed beans.
- Add a splash of water and cook for 2-3 mins more.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- To make the pico de gallo, mix tomato, coriander and remaining shallot together in a bowl.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and as much lime juice as you like.
- Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Cut into chunks (while still in its skin), then use a tablespoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Stir the lime zest into the cooked rice, fluffing it up as you go. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide your lime rice between bowls.
- Top with spoonfuls of chipotle beans, avocado and pico de gallo.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve with any remaining lime wedges alongside.