Glazed Chicken and Bell Peppers
with bulgur wheat and scallions
Ketjap manis—also known as Indonesian ketchup—is a popular Asian condiment similar to soy sauce, but sweeter. It forms the base of the syrupy, tangy glaze coating the succulent chicken and veg in this delicious dish.
Diced Chicken Breast
Red Wine Vinegar
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
Not included in your delivery
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion. Trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- Halve the bell pepper, and discard the core and seeds. Slice into strips.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Put 4 tbsp flour (double for 4p) in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and toss to coat completely. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Pour 240ml water (double for 4p) into a pot for the bulgur wheat and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the bulgur.
- Stir well, bring back up to the boil and simmer for 1 min, then put a lid on the pot and remove from the heat.
- Leave to the side for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the bell pepper, season with salt and pepper and fry until beginning to soften, 3-4 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Add the onion and another drizzle of oil (if necessary) to the pan, then cook until softened, 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1 min more, then transfer the veg to a bowl and set aside.
- Pop your (now empty) pan back on medium-high heat and add a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken and fry, turning frequently until golden on each side, 6-7 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ketjap manis, vinegar and ketchup in a bowl with 75ml water (double for 4p).
- Once the chicken is golden, stir in the veg and cook for another min.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and vegetables and simmer, stirring occasionally until the mixture has reduced slightly and the chicken is cooked, 4-5 mins. IMPORTANT: The chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Fluff up the bulgur wheat with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with the chicken and veg.
- Top with a sprinkling of sliced scallion.