Herby Hake and Charred Carrots
on a bed of bejeweled bulgur wheat
Melt-in-mouth pan-charred carrots and fluffy parsley bulgur team up with bright and fresh marinated hake for a meal that will keep your heart healthy and your tastebuds happy too.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
Not included in your delivery
- Halve and peel the onion. Chop half (double for 4p) into small pieces.
- Zest half the lemon (double for 4p) then cut in half. Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Trim the carrot and slice into 1cm rounds (no need to peel).
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Mix 1 tbsp oil (double for 4p), the lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the hake. Turn to coat well and set aside. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw fish.
- Place a medium pot over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 mins.
- Add 240ml water (double for 4p), then stir in the stock powder and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the bulgur, bring back up to the boil and simmer for 1 min.
- Cover and remove from heat. Leave to the side for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Place a large pan over a medium-high heat (no oil).
- Once hot, add the carrot rounds and cook until charred, 5-6 mins each side.
- Turn only every so often—this will allow the carrot to pick up a nice colour.
- Once cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste, then transfer half the charred carrot to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Chop the remaining carrot into small pieces and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to a medium bowl add 1½ tbsp oil (double for 4p) and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Add half the chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Return the (now empty) pan to medium-high heat.
- Once hot, carefully place your marinated hake into the pan.
- Spoon over any marinade remaining in the bowl.
- Cook for 3-4 mins before turning over and cooking for 2-3 mins on the other side. IMPORTANT: The fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
- When everything is ready, fluff up the bulgur with a fork and stir through the tomatoes, chopped carrots, remaining parsley and a small squeeze of lemon juice.
- Taste then season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if desired.
- Share the bulgur between your plates, then top with the charred carrot rounds and crispy hake.
- Drizzle over the herby dressing to finish.