Homemade Apple Beef Burgers
with chips and balsamic apple and onion chutney
Grated apple provides an easy way to add taste and texture to a burger. Perfectly crispy chips and creamy mayo are further welcome additions to this dish.
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
(Contains Milk, Egg, Soya, Wheat May be present Lupin, Nuts, Sesame)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then into 1cm wide chips (no need to peel).
- Pop the chips onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- Cook on the top shelf until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Place a medium pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the onion, season with salt and pepper and fry until soft and sweet, stirring occasionally, 4-6 mins.
- Meanwhile, quarter the apple, remove the core and seeds and coarsely grate.
- Once the onion is softened, add half the curry powder (double for 4p) and cook for 1 min more.
- Pop in 150ml water, 1 ½ tbsp sugar, ¼ tsp salt (double all for 4p), balsamic glaze and two-thirds of the grated apple.
- Cover and cook for another 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally. Add a splash of water if required.
- While the chutney cooks, combine the beef mince with the remaining grated apple and the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix everything together with your hands.
- Roll into even-sized balls, then shape into 1cm thick burgers, 1 per person.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the burgers until browned on the outside and cooked through, 12-14 mins.
- Carefully turn every 3-4 mins, adjusting the heat if needed. IMPORTANT: Burgers are cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Once cooked, remove pan from heat and divide the cheese between burgers. Cover and set aside until the cheese is melted, 3-4 mins.
- Pop the buns into the oven to warm, 2-3 mins.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a spoonful of mayo and ketchup over each base bun.
- Top with the beef burger and apple onion chutney. Close with the top bun.
- Serve with chips alongside.