Irish Sirloin Steak in Chimichurri Butter
with baby carrots and homemade chips
Chimichurri hails from South America, more specifically countries like Argentina, Uraguay and Nicaragua. These countries also just so happen to be famed for their high-quality beef. As you'll see, this is no accident—chimichurri pairs beautifully with meat dishes such as this Irish sirloin steak.
21 Day Aged Sirloin Steak
Dried Chilli Flakes
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes lengthways into 1cm slices, then chop into 1cm chips (peeling optional).
- Pop the chips onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season well with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, bake on the top shelf until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Meanwhile, pop the garlic (unpeeled) into a small piece of foil with a drizzle of oil. Scrunch to enclose.
- Add the parcel to the baking tray with the chips and roast until soft, 20-25 mins. Once cooked remove from the oven.
- While everything roasts, trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- Zest and halve the lime.
- When the chips have 15 mins left to go, place a pan over medium-high heat (no oil).
- Fry the lime halves, cut-side down, until charred, 3-4 mins. Remove from pan.
- Wipe the pan and return to medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the carrots until starting to char, 2-3 mins. Lower heat to medium and cook for 1 min.
- Add a splash of water and cover with a lid or foil. Cook until tender, 4-5 mins. Once cooked, remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe the pan and return to high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Season the sirloin with salt and pepper.
- Once hot, fry the sirloin until browned, 1-2 mins on each side for medium-rare.
- Cook for another 1-2 mins on each side if you want it more well-done. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat and its packaging.
TIP: Cook in batches if necessary.
- Once the roasted garlic has cooled, cut the end with scissors, squeeze out of its skin and mash with 2 tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- Add the butter to the pan. Let it melt then add the scallion, lime zest and chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice).
- Use a spoon to baste the sirloin in the chimichurri butter.
- Once cooked, transfer the sirloin to a board, cover and rest, 1-2 mins. IMPORTANT: Meat is safe to eat when outside is browned.
- When everything is ready, slice the steaks widthways into 1cm slices and transfer to your plates.
- Spoon over the chimichurri butter sauce from the pan.
- Serve with chips, carrots and charred lime for squeezing over alongside.