Lentils in Coconut Milk
with naan and broccoli
If you're looking for a healthy and hearty meal that skips the meat but doesn't skimp on seasonings, this veggie lentil curry is one to try. Full of gorgeous greens and well-balanced flavours, this dish is definitely what you could call a one-pot wonder.
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Dilute the vegetable stock with 280ml hot water (double for 4p).
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Grate the ginger. Cut the lime into wedges.
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces. Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Cut the broccoli into florets (like small trees). Halve any large florets.
- In a pot, heat a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 1-2 mins over medium-high heat.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve. Add the lentils and stock.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring frequently. Add a little water if the lentils stick.
- Add the coconut milk to the pot.
- Simmer for another 12-15 mins, covered, until the mixture has thickened slightly. Stir occasionally.
- When the stew has 5-8 mins left to cook, add the broccoli to the pot.
- Mix well, cover and simmer.
- Lightly moisten the naan breads with a little water then bake them for 3-5 mins to warm them up.
- After 5-8 mins of cooking, add the spinach to the pot (reserve just a few leaves for serving).
- Season with salt and pepper, mix well and cook for 2 mins.
- Serve the stewed lentils in bowls.
- Arrange a few leaves of fresh spinach on top, then sprinkle with coriander.
- Serve with the naan.
- Squeeze a few drops of lime juice on top before serving.