Mexican Spiced Beef Tortillas
with zesty creme fraiche
Bring a taste of Mexico to your table tonight with these simple to assemble meaty tortillas. The zesty creme fraiche topping is the perfect pairing for the lightly spiced bean, bell pepper and beef filling.
Red Kidney Beans
Mexican Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven (for the tortillas) to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 1cm chunks.
- Zest half the lime (double for 4p). Chop into 4 wedges.
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans.
TIP: If you want to avoid turning on the oven you can dry-fry the tortillas in a pan instead.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat (without oil).
- Once the pan is hot, fry the beef mince until browned, 4-5 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince.
- Use a spoon to break it up as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pepper and Mexican spice mix to the pan and fry for 1 min.
- Mix in the Worcester sauce, passata, kidney beans and beef stock powder.
- Using the back of a spoon, crush half the kidney beans.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, 7-8 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: Add a splash of water if the sauce becomes too dry.
- Pop the tortillas into the oven to warm, 1-2 mins.
- Add the creme fraiche to a small bowl.
- Stir through the lime zest.
- Plate up the warmed tortillas.
- Top each with a generous helping of the Mexican spiced beef mince.
- Spoon over a dollop of creme zest and a sprinkling of scallion.
- Serve with lime wedges alongside for squeezing over.