Moroccan Spiced Lentil Stew
with chickpeas and toasted baguette
This aromatic veggie stew is filled with flavour and plenty of protein to boot. Harissa paste and ras-el-hanout are two classic North African ingredients that bring smokiness and spice to this hearty healthy dish.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and lentils in a sieve.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the onion until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add the ras-el-hanout, season with salt and cook for 1 min more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and harissa paste to the pot.
- Pour in 350ml water (double for 4p) along with the stock powder.
- Stir everything together and bring to the boil.
- Add the drained lentils and chickpeas to the pot.
- Bring back to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 12-15 mins.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once the stew has reduced, season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- When the stew is almost finished, pop the baguettes into the oven to warm through, 2-3 mins.
- Spoon the spiced lentil stew into bowls.
- Top with a sprinkling of coriander and a dollop of yoghurt.
- Tear off chunks of warm baguette for mopping up the stew.