North African Style Prawns
on a bed of spiced bulgur
This tomato-based stew is bursting with amazing flavours. The harissa spiced prawns shine as the star of the show while the chickpeas, bulgur and veg all work together to make this a perfectly balanced and filling meal.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
Not included in your delivery
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Add a little oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. When hot, add half the onion. Fry until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add 240ml water (double for 4p) and half the stock to the pot. Bring to the boil.
- Add the bulgur, bring back to the boil. Simmer, 1 min.
- Cover the pot and remove from heat. Leave for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Trim the courgette then slice into 1cm thick rounds.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Pop half into a bowl and roughly mash with the back of a fork.
- Heat a pan on high heat (no oil).
- When hot, add the courgette and cook until charred, 3-4 mins each side. Turn only every couple of minutes—this will allow the courgette to pick up some nice colour.
- Once cooked, remove from pan and chop into roughly 1cm pieces.
- Transfer to a bowl, season with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the (now empty) pan and return to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the remaining onion and cook until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas (both whole and mashed) and garlic and cook for 1 min more.
- Pour in 100ml water (double for 4p), passata, remaining stock and two-thirds of the harissa paste.
- Stir together, then bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 8-10 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, stir in the prawns and cook for a further 3-4 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw prawns. The prawns are cooked when pink on the outside and opaque in the middle.
- When everything is ready, fluff up the bulgur with a fork and mix in the remaining harissa.
- Share the bulgur between your bowls and top with the harissa prawn stew.
- Finish with the charred courgette.