Pan-fried Cheese on Spiced Lentils
with caramelised onion and wilted spinach
Soft and sweet caramelised onions are the ultimate complement to the lightly spiced harissa lentils that form the base of this dish. Top it all off with golden fried cheese and you've got a pretty close to perfect meal.
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Cut the grilling cheese into slices (3 per person). Place the cheese slices in a small bowl of cold water and leave to soak.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Halve the tomatoes and pop them onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until the tomatoes are softened, 8-10 mins. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the onion and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Fry until soft and sweet, 8-10 mins.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more min.
- Add 100ml water (double for 4p) and vegetable stock to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half, 2-3 mins.
- Add the lentils and harissa paste, then bring back to the boil and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted and piping hot, 1-2 mins. Cover with a lid and remove from the heat.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, remove the cheese slices from the cold water, pop them on a plate lined with kitchen paper and pat them dry.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in another pan on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the grilling cheese and fry until golden, 2-3 mins each side.
- Stir the tomatoes into the lentils.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the lentils in bowls with cheese on top.