Pork Meatballs and Pesto Rice
with a rich tomato sauce
Juicy pork meatballs are smothered in an oregano-infused cheesy sauce and served on top of pesto-coated rice in this savoury symphony of a dish.
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat. Stir through half the pesto then pop the lid back on the pot.
- Keep covered for 10 mins or until ready to serve.
TIP: If you prefer, use the pesto as a garnish instead. It'll be just as delicious!
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the pork mince and half the cheese.
- Add 2 tbsp water and ¼ tsp salt (double both for 4p). Season with pepper and mix together by hand.
- Roll into evenly-sized balls, five per person. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the meatballs until browned all over, shifting as they colour, 6-8 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Add onion and garlic to the meatballs.
- Fry until softened, stirring occasionally, 2-3 mins.
- Stir passata, 100ml water (double for 4p) and remaining cheese into the pan.
- Simmer, covered, until the meatballs are cooked through, 4-5 mins. IMPORTANT: Meatballs are cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Add oregano and half the creme fraiche and allow to warm through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Mix the remaining pesto and creme fraiche together.
TIP: Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if you feel it's too thick.
- Fluff up the pesto rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with the meatballs and sauce.
- Finish with a drizzle of pesto creme fraiche.