Roasted Pepper Rigatoni
with baby spinach and golden fried cheese
Roasted garlic and Italian herbs add a depth of flavour and richness to the tomato sauce that coats the rigatoni and golden cheese in this simple pasta recipe.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Drain the cheese and chop into 2cm chunks. Place in a bowl of cold water and leave to soak.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 2cm chunks, then pop onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then roast on the top shelf of the oven until tender and slightly charred, 20-25 mins.
- Meanwhile, pop the garlic (unpeeled) into a small piece of foil.
- Drizzle in a little oil then scrunch to enclose.
- Halfway through the pepper roasting time, pop the garlic parcel onto the same baking tray.
- Roast until softened, 10-12 mins.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the pasta.
- Meanwhile, remove the cheese from the water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the cheese until golden brown all over, turning regularly, 4-5 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, muscat and half the Italian herbs (double for 4p).
- Mix in ½ tsp sugar and 75ml water (double both for 4p). Season with salt and pepper then bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10-12 mins.
- Once the garlic is roasted, allow to cool, then squeeze the flesh out of the skin. Mash with the back of a fork and stir into the sauce.
- While the sauce simmers, add the rigatoni to the pot of boiling water then bring back to the boil.
- Cook until softened, 12 mins.
- Once the pepper has roasted, stir it through the sauce along with the fried cheese.
- Add the spinach to the sauce, a handful at a time, stirring until wilted and piping hot, 1-2 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar. Add a splash of water to loosen the sauce if you feel it's too thick.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander and stir it through the sauce.
- Divide the roasted pepper rigatoni between bowls.